Sunday 29 January 2012

Sunday

There is probably some saying about how the second half of a marathon is easier than the first, but when it comes to looking after Bluet, well that wouldn't be a very good analogy. Here is what happened today - you'll notice at some point I lost track of the time..... However, it was a very fun day and weekend, and we had some great moments - I hope that Bluet is not bored of my company. It is quite difficult to think of things to entertain someone who cannot speak or understand everything you say, and needs to be stopped from grabbing computers and other non-edibles we have around the house.

9:27AM It took a while, but Bluet is currently asleep, and I am showered and ready for whatever the day (or Bluet) may throw at me. "We" woke around 6.20AM. Whilst Bluet made happyish waking up noises, I made her bottle and my coffee. Then we enjoyed our morning beverages together. After that, I kept Bluet entertained with:

1) her toys (briefly)

2) her banana oatmeal

3) cheerios, entertaining enough that I used the opportunity to cook some parsnip for her. She watched. Like her cousin Della, Bluet loves parsnip and pear which surprises me as it is a weird combination, and parsnips are no where near the top of my personal vegetable rankings.


Cheerio!


Then we read several books, and Bluet practised her standing in her bed (she was supposed to be practising her sleeping).




We spoke briefly to Emily on the phone, and with a little fuss, eventually Bluet was asleep. How long this state of affairs will last, none can say.

18:57 Well, Bluet is asleep(ish) so while my dinner cooks, here is what happened for the rest of the day. Around 10.30 my brother called from the UK, and I chatted to him along with Angela and Della on the Skype for a while. Eventually Bluet got bored of sleeping and joined us - this was her first interaction with Della since they met just over a month ago, captured in screen capture:



Then Bluet ate her lunch and we headed out (it must've been a little before noon). First, to the park, where Bluet swang a little, but really she was hungry and devoured her bottle. Whilst drinking two boys (who could've been any age from about 5-7, I have no idea - when are you supposed to let your kids talk to strangers?) came up on their scooters and said "you have a very cute baby" and "she looks nice" which was very unexpected. One kid left, but the other stayed a minute, told me his name was Marley, then suggested that maybe he could hang out with Bluet "when my parents are around"; He then scooted off. Maybe he'll come and say "hi" to Bluet some other day in Charles Schulz Park.

Then we met Liisa for Brunch at a nearby bistro. Bluet shared my toast, and was impecably behaved (pictured). She was fascinated with Liisa's watch, I guess because we don't wear them.



Then Bluet got tired and we headed home, arriving just after 14:00. After another bottle she took her afternoon nap. And so did I.

Around 16:30, she was awake again for the home stretch. More standing, music and books. Bluet became fascinated with the trendy hole in my jeans - another cool dad point, I feel - the third if you are keeping track. This was extremely sweet. We played together with lego - I built a tower and Bluet unbuilt it. Then for dinner, butternut squash and courgette (with a manchego cheese starter). Another bottle, a prolonged bath as Bluet was very much enjoying herself. Another book, and it was sleep time, with no fuss or pain. Now, what shall I do for the rest of the day.

(Oh, and the brownie was delicious)

No comments:

Post a Comment